I woke up Sunday morning with the sun coming through the window. That could only mean it was nicer or that it was 11AM!! Zoiks! I guess that's what happens when you don't set an alarm and have no kids or pets. I woke up, skipped the workout, and headed west to ES! Drove between 30-40 miles and it took about an hour...that's what one of the twistiest roads will do to your drive time. No cruise control...pout.
I drove into town past the Hoedown Theater that Alisha raved about! Yeehaw!
I wound into town up a hill, and down a hill, around a corner, and down a hill, and up a hill, again...following these little "loop" signs. I passed probably 90 million bed & breakfasts and some residents on their porches....watching me drive by 30 billion times. I went down one last hill before I was going to stop for directions and, viola, people! Sitting out on a patio! Listening to music! And tons of shops! I stopped in a parking lot to breathe. I was yellow-lab-excited.
I ducked into my first shop that was a local artists "gallery" of sorts. Bought a card of a really cool shot of ES at night done with pastels. Cool. The man working there, David, was helpful and I got a dose of ES history. Including a story where he was on the floor after falling from a barstool and proposing to one of the town's famous artists who was also his friend.
I went into every shop...for the first 5 shops. Then I decided I was already getting tired...and some stores were already closing. TRUNCATE SHOP STOPS! I need to make sure the restaurants are still open cause I'm already hungry. I knew I was in a place more like home when I walked into the first shop and one of my faves, Lily Allen, was playing on the speaker! As much as I really, really try to get into country music, I still struggle.
After buying some incense (very hippyish, I know, but I LOVE the smell) and some wish bracelets, I walked past a balcony where people were eating. I didn't want to stop at the first place that caught my eye, but after walking past 2 other outdoor dining places that were closed and some other indoor eateries, I ended going back to the Balcony Restaurant in Basin Park Hotel. Glad I did.
I walked up 2 flights inside an old hotel and out to the balcony. One of the waitresses gave me the Southern "What-the-Heck" glance I've become a bit familiar with as I carried in my caramel/sea salt truffle that I hadn't wanted to eat too quickly. I was bringing my own dessert...I had to ask if that was OK. I didn't get an answer. ;)
Found a seat, had a scrumptious Monte Cristo, and a glass of local white wine. It was still sunny and a bit cold; I was determined to sit outside.
Now, I'm super-pumped about having guests come! Eureka Springs is pretty fun...and they have alcohol...in bars and restaurants! Woot woot! Arts Month in May...hint hint....
My laundry is done...gotta go fold.
;)
Love,
K
Sorry, got a little verbose this time.
![]() |
| Walking up Spring St, near the Basin Park Hotel |
![]() |
| My Sea Salt & Caramel Truffle from Two Dumb Dames Fudge Factory |
![]() |
| My meal of onion rings, a monte cristo, and a local white wine...mmmmmmmm....gooood. |
![]() |
| View from my table at the Balcony Restaurant |
![]() |
| Another view from my table at Balcony Restaurant |
![]() |
| Yes, another view from my table at Balcony Restaurant |
![]() |
| Up Spring Street |
![]() |
| My view of Spring St./Center St. from the Balcony Restaurant |
![]() |
| The place where Alisha went to The Best Hoe-Down Ever when she was 13. |









No comments:
Post a Comment